STEP Labs: Dupré Library
Room 105 (after renovations completed)
60 Personal Computers (after renovations completed)
- Operating System: Windows NT 4.0.
- Web Browsers: Microsoft Internet Explorer and Netscape Navigator.
- Microsoft Office 97: Office is a suite of applications which includes Word (word processor), Excel (spreadsheet), Power Point (presentations), and Access (database).
- Corel WordPerfect Suite 8: Suite 8 is a suite of applications which includes WordPerfect (word processor), QuattroPro (spreadsheet), and Presentations (presentations)
- FTP Software: File Transfer Protocol (FTP) software allows the user to transfer files over the Internet to and from other systems which they are authorized to access.
- QWS3270: QWS3270 is an IBM 3270 emulator which allows access to LIBIS, the Library's online catalog, as well as any other online catalogs or databases that are on IBM mainframe systems. It also allows access to UL Lafayette's MVS mainframe for authorized users.
- System Features and Restrictions
- Drive C contains operating system and application files. Users cannot change the boot sector, operating system, or applications. (This insures that these shared systems will not get accidentally or mischieviously changed and also provides some virus protection.)
- Office 97 includes protection from Word macro-viruses.
- These systems have no sound card.
- Drive D is a shared, temporary drive. Anything placed there may be viewed, copied, or erased by anyone else at any time. Save files to the A-drive (3.5 inch floppy) or F-drive (100 MB Zip Drive).
- Turning off the system can damage files. Please do not turn off systems in an attempt to solve problems. Seek help from the lab assistants.
- Systems cannot be booted from floppy or Zip disks.
- Two laser printers are available for printouts in the Lab.
- Usage Guidelines and Priorities
- Current UL Lafayette students are given priority for use of the PC Lab. Two PCs in the lab are reserved for disabled users; the library has the right to reserve PCs on occasion for instructional purposes.
- Two PCs are designated as Express machines. Use of these machines is limited to 15-minutes at a time.
- No more than two users per PC.
- Do not attempt to modify software or remove equipment from the PC lab. Users must respect copyright laws or software licensing agreements in their use of the lab. The lab is not to be used for any commercial activities.
- Internet chatting, game playing, and pornography will not be tolerated in the lab. Any student caught violating these rules will lose his/her PC Lab privileges.
- The library is not responsible for the content of materials accessed on the Internet. Workshops on basic Internet use and resources are available for UL Lafayette students, faculty, and staff on a regular basis during semesters. Manuals and handouts are also available in the PC Lab and Library Reference Department.
- Other Equipment (after renovations completed)
- Microtek ImageDeck: a stand-alone, 36-bit, 600 x 600 dpi scanner that has a built-in 1.44-MB floppy drive and a 100-MB Iomega Zip drive
Document last revised: Thursday, 19-Sep-2002 18:20:59 CDT
© Copyright 2000 by the University of Louisiana at Lafayette
Computing Support Services, P.O. Box 42770, Lafayette LA 70504
Telephone: 337/482-5516 · Electronic Mail: email@example.com